Glossary of "Plant Biology (1st ed.)" by Graham et al. (2003)
- Breeding organisms so as to obtain desirable characteristics in succeeding generations.
Glossary of "Biology (3rd ed.)" by Hardin & Bajema (1978)
- the ecological actions of human beings that bring about the differential reproduction of genes in domesticated species of plants and animals. See also group selection, inclusive fitness, kin selection, natural selection, selection, and sexual selection
Glossary of "Evolution (4th ed.)" by Futuyma & Kirkpatrick (2017)
- Selection by humans of a deliberately chosen trait or combination of traits in a (usually captive) population; differing from natural selection in that the criterion for survival and reproduction is the trait chosen, rather than fitness as determined by the entire genotype.
- Graham, L. E., Graham, J. M. & Wilcox, L. W. 2003. Plant Biology. -xxxv + 497 pp. Pearson Education, Inc., Upper Saddle River.
- Hardin, G. & Bajema, C. 1978. Biology, its Principles and Implications, third edition. -x + 790 pp. W. H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco.
- Futuyma, D. J. & Kirkpatrick, M. 2017. Evolution, 4th ed. -xviii + 602 pp. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland.