Glossary of "Life (9th ed.)" by Sadava et al. (2011)
- In plants and photosynthetic protists with alternation of generations, the multicellular haploid phase that produces the gametes. (Contrast with sporophyte.)
Glossary of "Plant Systematics (1st ed.)" by Simpson (2006)
- The haploid phase in the life cycle of all land plants.
Glossary of "Evolution of Plants (2nd ed.)" by Willis & McElwain (2014)
- The gamete-producing generation in the life cycle of a plant, i.e. the embryo sac in angiosperms and the prothallus in ferns.
Glossary of "A Botanist's Vocabulary" by Pell & Angell (2016)
- Life cycle generation in which a plant has one set of chromosomes (i.e., is haploid, 1n) and produces gametes (sperm or eggs); in seed plants the gametophyte is the ovule and the pollen grain; the gametophyte is dominant in both time and size for non-vascular plants, making it their most conspicuous generation, as with mosses.
- Antonym: sporophyte.
- Sadava, D., Hillis, D. M., Heller, H. C. & Berenbaum, M. R. 2011. Life: The Science of Biology, 9th ed. -xliv + 1266 pp. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland.
- Simpson, M. G. 2006. Plant Systematics. -xi + 590 pp. Elsevier Academic Press, Oxford.
- Willis, K. J. & McElwain, J. C. 2014. The Evolution of Plants, 2nd ed. -ix + 398 pp. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Pell, S. K. & Angell, B. 2016. A Botanist's Vocabulary: 1300 Terms Explained and Illustrated. 226 pp. Timber Press, Portland.