Glossary of Ecology (6th ed.) by Krebs (2009)
- an animal that eats plants or parts of plants; contrast with carnivore.
Glossary of "Life (9th ed.)" by Sadava et al. (2011)
- An animal that eats plant tissues. (Contrast with carnivore, detritivore, omnivore.)
Glossary of "Environmental Science: Earth as a Living Planet (2nd ed.)" by Botkin & Keller (1998)
- An organism that feeds on an autotroph.
- Botkin, D. B. & Keller, E. A. 1998. Environmental Science: Earth as a Living Planet, 2nd ed. -xxxxii + 649 pp. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.
- Krebs, C. J. 2009. Ecology, 6th ed. -xvi + 655 pp. Pearson Benjamin Cummings, San Francisco.