mitochondrion (pl. mitochondria)
Glossary of "Plant Biology (1st ed.)" by Graham et al. (2003)
- Organelles present in eukaryotic cells that are the location for the generation of energy in the form of ATP by the process of respiration.
Glossary of "Plant Systematics (1st ed.)" by Simpson (2006)
- A double membrane-bound, cellular organelle with invaginations called cristae that function in the electron transport reactions of respiration. Pl: mitochondria．
Glossary of "Life (9th ed.)" by Sadava et al. (2011)
- an organelle in eukaryotic cells that contains the enzymes of the citric acid cycle, the respiratory chain, and oxidative phosphorylation.
Glossary of "The Evolution of Plants (2nd ed.)" by Willis & McElwain (2014)
- Structures within the cytoplasm of plant cells that carry out aerobic respiration.
- Graham, L. E., Graham, J. M. & Wilcox, L. W. 2003. Plant Biology. -xxxv + 497 pp. Pearson Education, Inc., Upper Saddle River.
- Simpson, M. G. 2006. Plant Systematics. -xi + 590 pp. Elsevier Academic Press, Oxford.
- Sadava, D., Hillis, D. M., Heller, H. C. & Berenbaum, M. R. 2011. Life: The Science of Biology, 9th ed. -xliv + 1266 pp. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland.
- Willis, K. J. & McElwain, J. C. 2014. The Evolution of Plants, 2nd ed. -ix + 398 pp. Oxford University Press, Oxford.