nucleus (pl. nuclei, nucleuses)
Glossary of Plant Systematics (1st ed.) by Simpson (2006)
- A double membrane-bound, cellular organelle that contains DNA.
Glossary of "Life (9th ed.)" by Sadava et al. (2011)
- (1) In cells, the centrally located compartment of eukaryotic cells that is bounded by a double membrane and contains the chromosomes. (2) In the brain, an identifiable group of neurons that share common characteristics or functions.
Glossary of "The Evolution of Plants (2nd ed.)" by Willis & McElwain (2014)
- Large body found in the cytoplasm of all eukaryotic plant cells that contains the genetic material.
Glossary of "Esau's Plant Anatomy (3rd ed.)" by Evert (2006)
- In biology, organelle in a eukaryotic cell bounded by a double membrane and containing the chromosomes, nucleoli, and nucleoplasm.
- Evert, R. F. 2006. Esau's Plant Anatomy: Meristems, Cells, and Tissues of the Plant Body--Their Structure, Function, and Development, 3rd. ed. -xx + 601 pp. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken.
- Simpson, M. G. 2006. Plant Systematics. -xi + 590 pp. Elsevier Academic Press, Oxford.
- Sadava, D., Hillis, D. M., Heller, H. C. & Berenbaum, M. R. 2011. Life: The Science of Biology, 9th ed. -xliv + 1266 pp. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland.
- Willis, K. J. & McElwain, J. C. 2014. The Evolution of Plants, 2nd ed. -ix + 398 pp. Oxford University Press, Oxford.