Glossary of "Life (9th ed.)" by Sadava et al. (2011)
- A change in the genetic material not caused by recombination.
Glossary of "The Third Chimpanzee" by Diamond (2014)
- in genetics, a change in the structure of a gene or chromosome that leads to an organism having traits or features that its parents did not have; a mutation may have no noticeable effect, or it may be harmful to the organism, or it may be favorable and improve the organism's chances of survival; evolution is a drive by favorable mutations that leads to the development of new species
Glossary of "Environmental Science: Earth as a Living Planet (2nd ed.)" by Botkin & Keller (1998)
- Stated most simply, a chemical change in DNA molecule. It means that the DNA carries a different message than it did before, and this change can affect the expressed characteristics when cells or individual organisms reproduce.
- Botkin, D. B. & Keller, E. A. 1998. Environmental Science: Earth as a Living Planet, 2nd ed. -xxxxii + 649 pp. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.
- Diamond, J. (Adapted by Stefoff, R.) 2014. The Third Chimpanzee, For Young People, on the Evolution and Future of the Human Animal. xiii + 370 pp. Seven Stories Press, New York.
- Sadava, D., Hillis, D. M., Heller, H. C. & Berenbaum, M. R. 2011. Life: The Science of Biology, 9th ed. -xliv + 1266 pp. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland.