Glossary of "Ecology (6th ed.)" by Krebs (2009)
- organisms that alter the surrounding chemical environment in such a way as to prevent other species from using it, typically with toxins or antibiotics.
Glossary of "Plant Biology (1st ed.)" by Graham et al. (2003)
- A type of plant competition in which one plant species produces chemicals that inhibit growth of individuals of the same or different species growing near it.
Glossary of "A Botanist's Vocabulary" by Pell & Angell (2016)
- Phenomenon in which a plant secretes compounds that interfere with the growth, reproduction, or continued survival of other plants around it; e.g., black walnut (Juglans nigra).
- Graham, L. E., Graham, J. M. & Wilcox, L. W. 2003. Plant Biology. -xxxv + 497 pp. Pearson Education, Inc., Upper Saddle River.
- Krebs, C. J. 2009. Ecology, 6th ed. -xvi + 655 pp. Pearson Benjamin Cummings, San Francisco.
- Pell, S. K. & Angell, B. 2016. A Botanist's Vocabulary: 1300 Terms Explained and Illustrated. 226 pp. Timber Press, Portland.