Glossary of "Plant Biology (1st ed.)" by Graham et al. (2003)
- Material found on the plant epidermal surface; usually includes both a microbe-resistant polyester (cutin) and waxes that help plants retain water.
Glossary of "Life (9th ed.)" by Sadava et al. (2011)
- (1) In plants, a waxy layer on the outer body surface that retard water loss. (2)In ecdysozoans, an outer body covering that provides protection and support and is periodically molted.
Glossary of Plant Systematics (1st ed.) by Simpson (2006)
- A protective layer, containing cutin, that is secreted to the outside of epidermal cells and functions to inhibit water loss; found in all land plants.
Glossary of "Evolution of Plants (2nd ed.)" by Willis & McElwain (2014)
- General term for the waxy coating made up of highly resistant biopolymers covering the outer walls of all above-ground parts of all land plants. The cuticle provides protection and prevents excessive water loss from plant surfaces.
- Graham, L. E., Graham, J. M. & Wilcox, L. W. 2003. Plant Biology. -xxxv + 497 pp. Pearson Education, Inc., Upper Saddle River.
- Sadava, D., Hillis, D. M., Heller, H. C. & Berenbaum, M. R. 2011. Life: The Science of Biology, 9th ed. -xliv + 1266 pp. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland.
- Simpson, M. G. 2006. Plant Systematics. -xi + 590 pp. Elsevier Academic Press, Oxford.
- Willis, K. J. & McElwain, J. C. 2014. The Evolution of Plants, 2nd ed. -ix + 398 pp. Oxford University Press, Oxford.