Glossary of "Plant Systematics (1st ed.)" by Simpson (2006)
- The movement of an organism or propagule from one region to another, such as the transport of a seed or fruit (by wind, water, or bird) from a continent to an island.
Glossary of "Ecology (6th ed.)" by Krebs (2009)
- the movement of individuals away from their place of birth or hatching or seed production into a new habitat or area to survive and reproduce.
Glossary of "Evolution (4th ed.)" by Futuyma & Kirkpatrick (2017)
- In population biology, movement of individual organisms to different localities; in biogeography, extension of the geographic range of a species by movement of individuals.
Glossary of "Life (9th ed.)" by Sadava et al. (2011)
- Movement of organisms away from a parent organism or from an existing population.
- Futuyma, D. J. & Kirkpatrick, M. 2017. Evolution, 4th ed. -xviii + 602 pp. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland.
- Krebs, C. J. 2009. Ecology, 6th ed. -xvi + 655 pp. Pearson Benjamin Cummings, San Francisco.
- Sadava, D., Hillis, D. M., Heller, H. C. & Berenbaum, M. R. 2011. Life: The Science of Biology, 9th ed. -xliv + 1266 pp. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland.
- Simpson, M. G. 2006. Plant Systematics. -xi + 590 pp. Elsevier Academic Press, Oxford.